Unfortunately, my son got caught up with the wrong group of kids over the last summer. It was not until the police officers brought him home that I learned of what he and his new group of friends were up to. I knew at that moment that I was going to need a lawyer to help me help him through the situation. My lawyer was so helpful in many ways. By the time we worked our way through the legal process, my son was able to walk away without any charges that could threaten his future. Visit my site to learn what can be done for a troubled teen to get him or her back on the right track.
You may be entitled to compensation if you have been exposed to asbestos in your work place and have become ill as a result. Asbestos is a dangerous workplace hazard, and your employer may be held responsible for your injury and be liable for money damages if you can prove your claim. If you suspect that you or a loved one is a victim of asbestos exposure, read on for the 10 vital facts that you need to know.
1. Even if you were exposed many years ago, you can still be compensated for your damages, due to a legal concept known as the Discovery Rule. This rule allows you to move the statute of limitations deadline based on when your injury was discovered instead of based on the time of initial exposure.
2. The wide use of asbestos is directly related to its ability to act as an excellent resistor to chemicals, heat, electricity, fire and sound. Insulation products and construction industries most commonly use asbestos.
3. Exposure to asbestos is caused by inhalation of tiny fibers, which lodge in your lung tissue and cause several types of lung diseases, such as Asbestosis, Mesothelioma and lung cancer.
4. Many products use asbestos in their production, including brake pads, roofing materials, building construction materials, floor tiles and insulation.
5. Accidental or occasional exposure to this substance has not been proven to cause asbestos-related diseases.
6. Despite its dangerous nature and efforts to do so, asbestos is still being used in the United States. Six categories of asbestos materials have been banned by the EPA at this time, however.
7. The litigation surrounding asbestos constitutes the single largest mass tort ever in the United States. Additionally, the largest single asbestos damage award was a stunning $322 million dollars.
8. Among the symptoms of asbestos-related diseases are cough, chest pain, shortness of break, anemia and weight loss.
9. The danger of asbestos is not confined to the workers themselves; family members are also at risk due to the substance being brought home on the skin, hair and clothing of workers on a regular basis over time.
10. A trust fund to the tune of 30 billion dollars has been set aside to compensate victims of this dangerous substance.
Don't waste any time before contacting a personal injury attorney and filing your claim once you discover that your illness was the result of asbestos exposure in your workplace. You may be eligible even if you no longer work there, and you will need a personal injury lawyer who is experienced in getting you the compensation that you need and deserve for you illness.Share